UNC reports 3 assaults involving same accused person over three months

Granville Towers

DTH File. Granville Towers is a set of off-campus residential buildings.

Content warning: This article contains mention of sexual assault.

*

*

*

An Alert Carolina sent by UNC Friday said there were three sexual assaults reported between August and October involving the same accused person. There is no immediate threat at this time, according to the message. 

UNC Police received a report Friday of a sexual assault that occurred at Granville Towers in September. The investigations of the three reports are ongoing. 

The Alert Carolina message said the reports seem “to indicate a pattern of behavior” and that the University is alerting the community to abide by the Jeanne Clery Act. The Clery Act requires the University to send crime alerts and emergency notifications when a situation poses a danger to the campus community, according to UNC Police.

The Alert Carolina did not disclose any identifying information about the accused person.

Resources for survivors

For all UNC students and employees who have experienced gender-based violence or harassment, Gender Violence Services Coordinators can provide confidential support and advocacy.

GVSCs can support individuals directly or indirectly impacted. Appointments can be scheduled by emailing gvsc@unc.edu or calling 919-962-7430 or 919-962-1343.

If you or someone you know needs support, the Orange County Rape Crisis Center has three 24-hour helplines, including a phone helpline at 919-967-7273, a text helpline at 919-504-5211 and a live online chat.

UNC’s Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office oversees campus reporting and response processes for campus sexual misconduct. Individuals can contact a Report and Response Coordinator by emailing reportandresponse@unc.edu or calling 919-445-2759.

UNC Police is available 24/7 by calling 911 in emergency situations or by calling 919-962-3658 for non-emergency assistance.

More information and resources can be found on the Safe at UNC website.

Additional resources can also be found in this Editorial Board article.