Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

N.C. Lauds Graham for Service

Graham, who is retiring in January after 36 years as agricultural commissioner, heard speeches from more than a dozen politicians, including Gov. Jim Hunt, all praising his service. A crowd of 2,000 gathered in the fairgrounds' building, named after the guest of honor, to listen.

Former N.C. Gov. Bob Scott, whose daughter will take over Graham's post, said Graham set high expectations for the state's agricultural industry.

"As the torch is being passed, we know we have responsibility as citizens of this state to build on what you have laid down as a foundation," Scott said.

N.C. State University Chancellor Marye Anne Fox presented Graham, an N.C. State alumnus, with a football jersey for the school's "number one fan."

"We are blessed to have Jim Graham as our agriculture commissioner," Fox said.

Some of the projects Graham led as commissioner include the "Goodness Grows in North Carolina" campaign and the promotion of farmers' markets throughout the state and the East Coast - both efforts to increase sales of N.C. agricultural products.

W. Va. Commissioner of Agriculture Gus Douglass said Graham inspired several programs he had established in his state.

"I copied Graham and what North Carolina agriculture was doing," Douglass said. "Jim Graham has been copied worldwide."

David Tompkins, assistant commissioner of agriculture in South Carolina, also said Graham had made people realize the importance of agriculture.

"He took agriculture and made it visible to everybody," Tompkins said.

Scott also said Graham had increased awareness about the agriculture industry across the state.

"There has never been anyone who was a stronger advocate for agriculture in North Carolina," Scott said.

At the end of the dinner, Graham stood with his pants legs tucked into his cowboy boots and thanked the crowd.

"It's very important for me to be with y'all tonight," he said. "It's an evening I won't forget."

Scott said he remembered something Graham once said which reminded the former governor of the three things Graham considered most important in life.

"He once told me he believed a man had no chance of getting to heaven unless he was a Democrat, a Baptist or had an Angus cow."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.