Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Tar Heels Race to Lead On 1st Day of Nike Cup

The No. 9 UNC women won all five events Thursday night to jump out with 335 points. Virginia Tech is second (123 points), and 12 teams have scored overall.

The No. 23 UNC men's team leads the field with 284 points. Pittsburgh is second (207), and LSU is third (136).

Junior Kevin Erndl led the charge. He tied the school record in the 50-yard freestyle when he won in 20.06 seconds.

UNC's women won both relays Thursday. Erika Acuff, Jessi Perruquet, Katie Hathaway and Christy Watkins won the 200-yard freestyle relay in 1:33.92, and the unit of Summer Mack, Hathaway, Acuff and Perruquet captured the 400-yard medley relay in 3:45.00.

On the men's side, the UNC team of Kert Johnson, Chris Helin, Sebastien Moity and Erndl won the 400-yard medley relay in 3:18.94.

A pair of UNC freshmen won

500-yard freestyle titles. Perruquet won the women's event in a career-best time of 4:48.82, and Yuri Suguiyama swam to victory in a time of 4:26.46 for the men.

Acuff won the 200-yard individual medley for women with a time of 2:01.00, and Helin was the men's winner in 1:48.79. Watkins won the women's 50-yard freestyle in 23.44.

Competition continues today, with preliminaries starting at 10 a.m. and finals beginning at 6 p.m.

Field Hockey Prepares for Maryland

No. 2 seed UNC takes on the third-seeded Maryland at Old Dominion's Foreman Field today at 6:30 p.m. in the NCAA semifinals. The winner of that game will play either top-seeded ODU or No. 4 seed Wake Forest.

UNC defeated Maryland 1-0 in overtime on Oct. 22. Senior forward Kristen McCann scored the game-winning goal.

The NCAA championship game is at 2 p.m. Sunday.

Women's Soccer Set to Play Cavaliers

UNC hosts Virginia on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Fetzer Field in the third round of the 2000 NCAA Women's College Cup

UNC officials anticipate the game to be a sellout. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for students and are on sale now. Gates will open at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. There will also be a $2 parking fee for the game.

Men's Soccer Takes on Tribe

The UNC men's soccer team will play William & Mary on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Fetzer Field. The Tar Heels earned a No. 1 seed in the tournament and defeated the Tribe 2-0 on the two teams' previous meeting Oct. 4.

The winner of Sunday's game will face either Boston College or Rhode Island.

Tar Heels Earn ACC Honors

The ACC announced its All-ACC volleyball teams Wednesday. Four UNC players earned recognition. Seniors Liz Feldman and Casey Simpson were named to the first team, sophomore Laura Greene was named to second team, and Nicole Reis was named to the All-Freshman team.

Women's Basketball Starts Year

The UNC women's basketball team will begin its 2000-01 season against Buffalo today at 7 p.m. in Buffalo, N.Y. The Tar Heels return four starters from last year's team and open up their home season at Carmichael Auditorium on Tuesday against N.C. A&T.