Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Candidate Frames Vision for Greeks

The process of selecting a finalist drew nearer as an open forum for the community was held in the Student Union for Jay Anhorn, one of the two remaining candidates for the position.

The position became vacant in October after former Director of Greek Affairs Ron Binder retired. Associate Vice Chancellor Cindy Wolf Johnson, who leads the search committee, said she hopes to have the post filled by Feb. 1, although she thinks that goal might be too ambitious.

Monday's 50-minute session allowed Anhorn, currently the assistant director of student activities at Coastal Carolina University, to explain his views and overall vision for Greek life at UNC. He said it could be whittled down to "learn it, live it, love it."

Anhorn then went into further detail on this philosophy. The first component entails focusing more on academics, both in being more selective of members and demanding more responsibility from the current members.

He said he is impressed with UNC's emphasis on academics and cited the statistic that UNC's Greek students have higher grade point averages than other students.

"Live it" covers a broader spectrum of factors involving Greek life -- from being healthier in terms of alcohol and drug use to advocating greater diversity.

Other members of the audience wanted to know about the crises Anhorn had experienced and how he tried to resolve these issues.

He cited late-night trips to the hospital for students who had consumed alcohol or incidents of hazing. Anhorn said he likes to field opinions from various officials to help work toward a solid solution in such crises.

Greek students in the audience said they were pleased with what Anhorn said. "(The forum) was very informative," said Christina Campbell, a member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority Inc. and UNC's National Pan Hellenic Council secretary. "He had a lot of good ideas and he seems like an innovator who seems open-minded regarding policy issues."

A forum for Greek students to meet the second candidate, Steve Veldkamp, will be held from 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. today at the Alpha Chi Omega sorority house. A forum for all students to meet Veldkamp will be held from 1:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Wednesday in Union 224.