Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Group Holding Forum On Violence Against Women Tonight

Due to the recent number of sexual assaults in our area, Feminist Students United! is holding a Speakout On Men's Violence Against Women. The Speakout will be at 8 p.m. today in Joyner Residence Hall lounge.

Officer Sabrina Garcia of the Chapel Hill police crisis unit will discuss the wave of recent attacks in our area. If you have experiences or fears you would like to share, if you want to be educated on how to stop men's violence against women and protect yourself, or if you simply want to be a part of this "safe space," please join us.

Volunteers from the Orange County Rape Crisis Center will be available to talk confidentially. Coffee and desserts will be served and open discussion will be encouraged. Come educate yourself and help us further the campaign to end sexual violence.

Men's violence against women is a prevalent problem in all communities and our community and campus is no different. Sexual violence includes types of assault such as rape and domestic violence and transcends all races, social, and economic classes. As sexual and gendered violence increase at a startling rate, it is imperative that people are made aware of the dangers and encouraged to work to prevent future violent attacks.

Sarah Dunsmore

Sophomore

Anthropology and Cultural Studies

Sarah Dunsmore

Sophomore

Anthropology and Cultural Studies