Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

SAFO Candidate Brings Experience

Deborah Horne, an accountant for the UNC Center for Public Television, is one of three final candidates for the position of Student Activities Fund Office director.

Horne conducted a public forum Thursday to express her views of the job and her qualifications.

She said she could dive right back into campus life despite her five-year absence. "Because I am so familiar with the campus workings, I do not feel any transition to the job would be hard at all," Horne said.

The position of SAFO director, which oversees and manages the finances of student organizations, will change hands from the current director, Howard Brubaker, who is retiring once a replacement is found.

Don Luse, chairman of the search committee, said the initial search for a new director began with a pool of 27 candidates in September.

"We have a committee of four students and two staff members who reviewed all applications individually, and then we came together and narrowed it down to our top 10," Luse said.

He said the field of 10 applicants was narrowed after reference checks. "We are interested in finding a top-of-the-list person capable of working with students in a service capacity," Luse said.

Horne was the first of the three candidates to be interviewed by the committee.

Horne has more than 20 years of work experience with the University, including her employment in the finance departments of UNC's School of Medicine, Kenan-Flagler Business School and main budget office.

She said she views the SAFO position as a challenge and a learning experience.

"I see this office as a service office to (the students)," Horne said. "I see this as a team effort involving administrators, students and University employees."

Luse said the committee will meet Monday to discuss what its next steps will be in the process.

"If we bring the other two candidates in to interview, we will offer other public forums," Luse said.

But Horne said such a job with the University will further enhance her experience with the campus.

"I like the idea of having an ... accountant position that lets me branch out and see a whole new aspect coming from the students' point of view."