Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Poor Lighting in Town Troubles Students

Hillsborough and Rosemary streets are just two areas of Chapel Hill that residents have complained are poorly lit and potentially dangerous when it comes to walking or jogging at night.

UNC junior Logan Stewart, who lives in the Alpha Chi Omega house on Rosemary Street, said until this semester she would jog every night after dinner.

But in light of two sexual assaults that occurred this year and a mugging that occurred at Little Fraternity Court in the fall, Stewart said she feels unsafe running or walking alone at night. She said she has rearranged her day so she doesn't have to run at night. "I feel more lighting would make everything more convenient and safer," Stewart said.

UNC senior Caroline Roberson said another area of concern is Hillsborough Street. Roberson, who lives in an apartment complex off Hillsborough near the site of one of the recent sexual assaults, said the area gets extremely dark at night.

"I won't go outside unless I'm with a group of friends at night," she said. "It's scary coming home at night from the library and campus because it's so dark."

Chapel Hill Crime Prevention Officer Chris Blue said people know the dangers of walking alone at night and should be careful. "Lighting is a problem, but most people are aware of it and are cautious of it," he said.

Blue said the Public Works Department works hard in making sure street lights are functioning. He also said the department continually checks the town for broken street lights and areas that might need more lighting.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said people should always be aware of their surroundings, take note of where an assailant could hide and notice places where they could go for help. Cousins also recommended walking and parking in lighted areas if possible.

"Trust your feeling, if something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts and act on it," she said.

The alleyway and parking lot area through Fraternity Court, which for many Granville Towers residents is a common route to and from campus, is another area of concern for students.

Granville Towers General Manager Dennis Erny said he worked with former Director of Greek Affairs Ron Binder last year to improve the lighting along the pathway. But Erny said half of the pathway belongs to Sigma Nu fraternity, and while efforts were being made, nothing has been fixed yet. "If we had requests, we'd put more lighting around the area, but we haven't had any," he said.

Granville West resident Molly Flinn said she would feel safer walking alone at night if there were more street lights.

"It is a burden and inconvenience to not be able to go to the library at night because you are scared to walk alone, especially if you have to walk through poorly lit areas," Flinn said.

Granville resident Marcellus Parker said he felt safe but added that he thinks the situation is different for women. "If one person feels unsafe because of the poor lighting situation then that should be enough to show concern," Parker said.

Granville East resident Allison Scarborough said she also feels relatively safe walking alone at night through the poorly lit areas in Chapel Hill but that the lighting could be improved.

"You never know who might be around the corner, and it's hard to see them because it's so dark, but it's just a chance you take," Scarborough said.

Despite students' concerns, Chapel Hill Town Council member Kevin Foy said to his knowledge no one has come to the Town Council with requests to improve the situation. "In order to receive more lighting, residents would have to come forth and show the town where lighting is inadequate and why."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.