Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Released Photos May Help Police Nab Vandals

Revelers rushed to Franklin Street to celebrate North Carolina's 85-83 win against Duke. But some fans took part in vandalizing a 1997 Honda Accord, flipping it over and significantly damaging it.

"We believe we've identified some people, but we haven't spoken to them yet," said Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins.

Cousins said the Chapel Hill police obtained digital photographs of the suspects from one eyewitness who wishes to remain anonymous. "We took out everybody not involved," Cousins said. "Any face in the pictures is someone we believe damaged the car or flipped the car."

The pictures show what police believe to be students on top of Mindy Guadagnino's flipped vehicle.

Police also subpoenaed a videotape of the crowd from WRAL-TV-5 to try to identify those involved in the incident.

Steven Abbott, a spokesman with the WRAL newsroom, said the news station complied with the court ruling so the station would not "be held in contempt of court." Abbott also said the station did not have any factual information regarding the arrests.

Cousins said the police department's next move will be to distribute and post fliers. The police also will work with UNC to name and charge the suspects.

The suspects could be charged with crimes as serious as felony rioting, Cousins said, which could entail jail time. Additionally, Chancellor James Moeser and Student Attorney General Taylor Lea have said the University will take action against anyone arrested for the crime.

Cousins said the vandalism did not reflect favorably on UNC's street parties on Franklin Street. "It's something that's gone so well for so many years, we, as well as the community, would like to see it continue," Cousins said.

Cousins said if anyone has any knowledge of the incident to contact the Chapel Hill Police Department at 968-2767 or CrimeStoppers at 942-7515. All calls will be kept anonymous.