Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Test at ECHHS Dance To Discourage Drinking

School officials have decided to make each student entering the dance take a breathalyzer test to ensure they have not consumed any alcohol before arriving.

The new policy stems from an incident at the school's prom two years ago when 20 to 30 students arrived drunk in vans with hired drivers. As punishment, these students were not allowed to attend the prom and were suspended from school for five days. They also were not allowed to participate in their graduation ceremony.

Last year's prom marked the first time the school used breathalyzer machines to curb drinking and the attendance of drunken students.

David Thaden, the principal of ECHHS, said the students at last year's prom were pleased by the effect of the use of breathalyzers.

"Many of the students said it was the best prom ever because no one was drunk and they didn't have to deal with people trying to pretend they weren't drunk," he said. "I was able to say with confidence to parents that when students left the prom, they were ready to drive."

Because of the success of the breathalyzer policy, Thaden decided to buy six of the machines this year. Each machine cost $300, and Thaden said they were a good investment for the school. "We just want to ensure a safe and orderly campus," he said.

Students who arrive at the dance drunk will not be allowed to enter, and their parents will be called to pick them up. Offending students also will be suspended for five days and referred to the school's substance abuse counseling team.

But Thaden said the tests will not be used at every school function. "We do it at events that we think warrant it," he said. "I certainly wouldn't do it at a play or basketball game because it's not necessary."

John McCormick, attorney for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, said there are no legal problems concerning the use of breathalyzers at school events. While the breathalyzer is a type of personal search, McCormick said attendance to dances is not mandatory.

"Because the dance is voluntary, (students) can avoid the test if they object to it by not coming to the event," he said.

He said legal complications could ensue if the school implemented this sort of test during the normal school day. The test would be considered an unreasonable search because officials would need to have probable cause to perform a search of any student.

Although the school board did not have to be consulted about the issue, school board member Nick Didow said he supports Thaden's policy because there is a history of students drinking before events at ECHHS. Didow also said he regretted that the test needed to be implemented but that Thaden's decision to do so was fair. "It's unfortunate, but I think he's been very reasonable with the steps he's taken."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition