Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ward Explores New Ways to Help Failing Schools

The plan calls for a team of educational management officials to assist schools where a majority of students fail end-of-course tests.

But the current ABC Plan has not been very effective.

John Poteat, research director for Public Schools Forum of North Carolina, said student achievement in low-performing schools has not been very high.

"There is much concern with the 5th graders in low-performing schools," he said. "A large number of them face retention."

The new ABC Plus Plan would eliminate such problems.

Proposed by Ward on Jan. 31, the plan calls for changes to low-performance schools if a majority of students fail state tests for two consecutive years.

An additional teacher work week would also be implemented, extending the calendar year from 10 to 11 months.

Teachers in high performance schools can expect $1,500 in cash bonuses. Certified teachers in chronically low-performing schools would receive $5,000-$10,000 in pay incentives.

But some people are concerned about the state's ability to draw teachers to low-performing schools.

Kathyrn Meyers, Durham County School Board chairwoman, said it is a challenge to get nationally certified teachers into such schools.

"Who would be interested in going to low-performance schools?" Meyers said. "The main goal should be to target teachers who also feel that they can do well, help the children and be effective."

She also said that some think the plan is too punitive, rewarding high-performance schools at the expense of other schools.

"This makes it harder to keep teachers at the low-performance schools," Meyers said.

But state officials said the plan will be effective.

Ward spokeswoman Kay Williams said the State Board of Education received the plans for teacher pay incentives favorably.

She said seven schools will benefit from the plan, including Eastway Elementary in Durham, a chronically low-performing school.

Among other schools were three in Mecklenburg County and one each in Gaston, Vance and Wayne counties.

The board will vote on the measure March 1.

Meyers said Durham officials could not be more anxious to get the ball rolling.

"The smaller class sizes, stronger leadership at the principal and district level and partnering the schools with the community are a positive step toward proactive bolster(ing) of the schools."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.