Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Write-In Candidates\Force GPSF Runoff

Mikisha Brown, a graduate student in health behavior and health education, and Kleem Chaudhary, a chemistry graduate student, came in first and second in the race. Out of 205 votes, Brown received 50 while Chaudhary received five.

Because neither candidate received a majority of the total votes, the race necessitates a runoff election.

In Tuesday's election, no write-in votes will be allowed, so whichever candidate gets the majority of the votes will win, said Board of Elections Chairman Jeremy Tuchmayer.

Brown and Chaudhary said they both plan to participate in the runoff election, although Chaudhary said his involvement is contingent on approval from his research advisor.

Chaudhary said he considered running in the GPSF presidential election, but had decided against it because of academic concerns. He also said he doesn't know how he got the five votes but is encouraged by the show of support.

Brown said that she wasn't on the ballot because she found out about the race too late but that she campaigned by sending out e-mails with her platform.

She said that if she is elected, her primary goal will be to create an atmosphere in which students can voice concerns.

"I think a lot of students don't know what the GPSF does," she said.

"The more students that get involved and the more personal it is to them, the more they will know how the organization will benefit them."

Chaudhary said a major issue for him is extending the benefits that employees receive to graduate and professional students. But he said he doesn't want to make students change their classification. "I'm not in favor of unionizing and having students be considered employees," he said.

Chaudhary said he is a good candidate because he is the external vice president of GPSF and the president of the association of chemistry graduate students.

Brown, who joined the GPSF board at the end of last semester, said she also wants to create programs to encourage interaction between different departments. "You don't live together, so there is not that immediate access to people, and you get so caught up in what your department is doing."

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition