Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Panel Probes Modern Activism

The keynote speaker, Rev. Lucius Walker, the founder and executive director of the Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization, began the evening by analyzing the word activist. "Many people were very critical of what they call an activist," Walker said. "The implication is that activists are disorganized, approach issues emotionally rather than rationally."

He said he preferred the word organizer because the term represents the structure and planning inherent in activism.

In addition, the panel discussed the current level of activism on college campuses. "I often tease my students -- how come the campus is so quiet these days?" said Bereket Selassie, a UNC professor of African studies and former independence fighter for Eritrea, an African country. "Really I do know. What's absent is the context. It's very difficult to galvanize people into action without historic conditions."

Selassie cited the civil rights movement and the Vietnam protests as activism in historic conditions.

Junior Erica Smiley, the only student member of the panel, said student activism is more localized around campus issues, such as tuition increases. "What gets the bulk of students going is what affects them here," she said.

But panelist Robin Davis stressed that even though activists work on different issues, they're all ultimately working together. "When you choose to commit to one issue, don't decide you're working on the most important issue," said Davis, the vice president of the N.C. chapter of the National Organization for Women. "Try to have an appreciation for others and their issues."

The discussion, held in Gerrard Hall, was the annual James M. Johnston Scholars Issues Forum.

Senior Philip Buiser, one of the event's organizers, was pleased with the discussion. "I think it went tremendously well," he said. "They just fed off each other perfectly."

Graduate student Maya Parson left the forum rejuvenated. "When I was not in school, I was involved in local community organizations," Parson said. "Once I started grad school, it became difficult to continue that involvement. Coming here tonight inspired me to put myself back into it."

Freshman Sarah Miller said she came to the meeting because she is still searching for her cause. She said she found Davis' message of unity impressive. "It's not so much ranking issues, but you concentrate on what affects you personally," she said. "It's not about picking one because they all work together."

Walker ended his speech by urging those present to remember that they can have an impact. "If you don't remember anything else tonight, remember you can change your environment," Walker said. "You can take control of your future."

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition