Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

English Events Target Nonmajors

Starting tonight and running through Thursday, the AEM/AGES Conference on Literature and Writing could provide liberation for those with literary aspirations.

The conference, organized by the Association of English Majors and the Association of Graduate English Students, revolves around the theme of "New Directions."

Robin Brown, a graduate student in English, is one of the organizers. Although the conference is in its fourth year, Brown said it has always been low-key in the past.

This year, organizers want to change that.

"We want to go beyond talking about literature in a critical way," she said. "We're hoping for interest outside of the department."

Events kick off tonight at 5 p.m. in Greenlaw Hall, when several different panels and paper sessions will take place.

Such papers include "Quantum Mechanics and the Drama of Pinter" by Jim Speckart, which discusses chaos theory and concepts of physics, and "Knowing Lolita: The Sexual Misbehavior of Eve in Eden" by Eric Goldman, which addresses understanding sexuality through Nabokov's adolescent nymph.

Paper sessions will be capped each night by receptions in Donovan Lounge, where Brown hopes informal conversation between professors and students will facilitate some lasting interaction.

"We hope to foster a better environment for discussion for undergraduates, graduates and faculty," she said.

Tonight's reception will feature newer faculty members discussing works of literature that have inspired them. English Professor Erin Carlston, who specializes in Modernist studies, is looking forward to participating in the discussion.

"I've done lots and lots of panels," she said, "but I've never participated as a faculty member in a panel organized by students."

Wednesday night's reception will feature appearances by prolific Southern authors Lee Smith and Hal Crowther, and faculty members along with graduate students will discuss the role of technology in the English classroom on Thursday.

For those itching to try their hand at more creative literary endeavors, plenty of inspiration will abound at the conference.

At Thursday's children's literature panel, junior journalism major Becky Tench will read the children's book she wrote, which is now receiving attention from major publishers.

Tench took "Writing Children's Fiction" two years ago with English professor Ruth Moose, and wrote "A Place for the Little Green Pea" as a course assignment. Moose convinced her to send it to Penguin/Putnam in New York, and while Tench thought it would be an exercise in futility, the publisher called and said they were interested in pursuing it.

Tench is currently revising the book, but will read it and show off her illustrations at the conference.

While she is a creative writing minor, Tench never thought she would find such success with her writing. She encourages others to try it out.

"Most people are scared of creative writing," she said, "but if you just gave it a shot, you'd be amazed."

The AEM/AGES Conference runs through Thursday in Greenlaw Hall. The conference schedule can be found in its entirety at sites.unc.edu/aemages/.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.