Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police Roundup 04/17/01

University

Sunday, April 15

A Fayetteville resident reported the larceny of her purse to University police at 7:20 p.m. She said she left her purse in the kitchen on the fourth floor of Carmichael Residence Hall. When she returned to the kitchen, her purse was gone. There are no suspects at this time, reports state.

At 9:19 p.m., a student who lives in Ruffin Residence Hall reported receiving harassing telephone calls and voice mails. She asked the suspect to stop, but the calls have continued. The calls have not been threatening in nature, reports state.

At 11:30 p.m., a resident assistant in Morrison Residence Hall reported a suspicious male on the eighth floor of the hall. University police responded to the call and found the suspect on the ninth floor. He told the police he was waiting for a friend and he worked for Carolina Dining Services. The suspicious male was issued a written trespass warning and was escorted from the building, reports state.

Friday, April 13

Two Classic Food Service Vendors reported the larceny of food from vending machines in Ehringhaus Residence Hall. The report was made a 7:28 a.m. The suspects used a coffee table to smash the window of the vending machine, and then took $70 worth of food. University police took two items of evidence for further processing, reports state.

At 11:19 p.m., University police responded to a fire alarm at Hamilton Hall. A pull station was activated but no fire was found. The pull station and the alarm were reset.

Thursday, April 12

A UNC employee reported the larceny of her parking permit at 2:26 p.m. She said the permit was last secure at 2 p.m. April 8 and that she left her windows rolled down on April 9, reports state.

At 2:34 p.m., a UNC employee reported that his parking permit was stolen between 7:45 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. on April 11. There are no suspects at this time, reports state.

At 4:01 p.m., an employee of the Totten Garden Center reported the larceny of a flower pot from the herb garden. It was stolen between 5 p.m. April 11 and 11 a.m. April 12. The pot, worth $100, was one of two designed for the center. There are no suspects at this time, reports state.

City

Monday, April 16

Chapel Hill police cited Samuel McDaniel, 25, of 309 Laurel Ave., Apt-B, for public urination.

Reports state that officers saw McDaniel urinating against the door of the Caribou Coffee Shop on Franklin Street.

McDaniel is scheduled to appear May 8 in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill.

Sunday, April 15

Ray Anthony Hill, 22, of 303 E. Main St. was arrested by Chapel Hill police for carrying a concealed weapon.

Reports state that officers found a handgun clipped to the inside of Hill's shorts in a holster while patting him down at a traffic stop. The gun also contained a round of ammunition, reports state.

Hill was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear May 21 in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

Saturday, April 14

Chapel Hill police were notified of damage to property at the Chi Psi fraternity house on Cameron Avenue.

Reports state that an unknown subject stripped the bark off the bases of two tree trunks, causing $1,500 in damage.

The case has been closed.

Friday, April 13

Carrboro police arrested Duncan Eugene Miller, 23, of 3607 Phyllis Drive in Raleigh, for DWI, transporting open spiritous liquor and for possessing an open container of alcohol.

Miller was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear May 22 in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill police responded to reports of an armed robbery at Highlandwoods Drive.

Reports state that the unknown subject stole $350 from the victim after assaulting the victim with a knife. The case is under further investigation.