Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

In August

Paperwork and contractor problems have delayed the opening of the club located in a former movie theater.

By Emily Canaday

Staff Writer

Construction on the nightclub NV, which was scheduled to open in late February, has been slowed because of a violation of the North Carolina Building Code and the owner's submission of false information on the building permit application, Town of Chapel Hill Building Inspector Bobby Pettiford said Tuesday.

According to state law, a licensed contractor must be used when the cost of remodeling a leased building exceeds $30,000. Brent Lee, the owner of NV, exceeded this amount by $25,000 and falsely stated on his permit application that he was the owner of the building, Pettiford said.

The club, in the former Ram Triple Theatre location, has long been anticipated as a new addition to Chapel Hill nightlife. The three-story club will exceed 10,000 square feet and will provide live music as well as well-known DJs.

But on May 16, Pettiford issued a stop-work order, halting all construction on the building until a licensed contractor was hired and filed with the town.

Lee has recently hired Providence Development Group of Greensboro to oversee the project, but because he has not filled out the building permit, the town does not recognize this development as legal.

"That should be up to the contractor," Lee said. But under town regulations, Lee is required to sign the building permit.

Lee began working this week on completing installation of a light and sound system. But the town prohibits construction until the work order permit issue has been resolved.

"Until the order is lifted, all work done on the building is illegal," Pettiford said.

Lee originally planned to open NV in February, but his plans were delayed after problems with his former contractor.

"I wanted to do things one way, and the contractor wanted to do things his way, and since it is my club I thought it was time for him to go," Lee said. "I thought since I was running the show that I could avoid these types of delays, but obviously I couldn't."

Lee would not reveal who his contractor was.

NV would be a private, members-only club with some restricted areas according to the level of membership. The VIP areas will be reserved for celebrities that visit and as a reward for talent or special customers.

"A lot of clubs in the area do not follow the ... law that if a certain percentage of your revenue does not come from food, you have to charge a membership fee," Lee said. "But I am going to strictly follow this because I don't want to lose my liquor license. I have worked too hard."

The club will be for members 21 and older, but on certain nights the doors will open for those 18 and up.

"The club is going to appeal and provide for a market that has not been satisfied yet. It is completely differently from anything else in Chapel Hill," Lee said.

"We are geared toward people who make going out an event, not those who just throw on jeans and a T-shirt," Lee said.

"We are promoting entertainment, not just a place to go get drunk."

But it is clear that first, Lee must settle legal issues with the town.

"Until Lee comes in and fills out the necessary paperwork," Pettiford said, "it (the stop-work order) will not be lifted and the work cannot continue."

Emily Canaday can be reached

at sundancr1@msn.com.