Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

University and City briefs

UNC-Chapel Hill is one of three N.C. research universities that ranked high in a recently released survey by the Association of Research Libraries.

Of the 112 libraries in the survey, UNC, with more than five million volumes as of 2000, ranked 17th.

Duke University ranked 25th and N.C. State ranked 35th. Rankings are compiled using an index with several variables including volumes held, volumes added, total staff and total library expenditures.

UNC Associate Provost for Univesity Libraries Joe Hewitt said the libraries' volumes serve as an important resource not only for students and faculty, but also for researchers worldwide.

Duke Primate Center Research Must Improve

School administrators have given the Duke University Primate Center a three-year window to increase its research efforts or be shut down.

The center has been under review for several months, and administrators have expressed concern with the priorities of the 35-year-old world-renowned center. The review board has indicated that the center should concentrate more on research and education, as opposed to ecological conservation projects.

Administrators also chose not to renew the contract of Kenneth Glander, the center's director for the past ten years, when it expired at the end of last month.

The new director, anthropologist William Hylander, is charged with making dramatic improvements in the center's programs for research and undergraduate education. Glander will continue to teach at Duke and conduct his own research at the center.

"Booze It & Lose It" Cracks down on DWIs

More than 100 people were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol last weekend at six impaired-driving checkpoints across the state.

The checkpoints are part of North Carolina's "Booze It & Lose It" program, which will continue through the July 4 holiday travel period and conclude July 15.

Last year, 427 of the state's 1,563 traffic deaths were related to drugs or alcohol.

Jones, Lewis Dismissed From Football Team

Wide receiver Jamal Jones and safety JoVon Lewis have been removedfrom the University's football team for violating team rules, head coach John Bunting announced June 26.

Neither were slated to be starters in the 2001 season.

Durham, Wake County Get Red Light Cameras

Durham and all municipalities in Wake and Union counties can now use cameras to catch motorists running red lights, after a bill received final legislative approval Monday.

Use of the cameras was approved last year for Chapel Hill, where they are now in the process of being implemented. Charlotte, Fayetteville, Greensboro, High Point and Wilmington already have such cameras.

The cameras automatically photograph vehicles that run through red lights.

The vehicle's owner must then pay a $50 fine or prove someone else was driving the car.

Edwards and Price Visit Several N.C. Hospitals

RALEIGH -- U.S. Senator John Edwards visited hospitals across North Carolina on Monday to discuss his far-reaching patient-protection legislation, which passed the Senate late Friday by an overwhelming 59-36 roll-call vote.

Similar legislation will be considered in the House of Representatives in the coming weeks.

Edwards hosted three forums on the Patient Protection Act he cosponsored with Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

Congressman David Price, a supporter of the House version of the McCain-Edwards bill, joined Edwards for the Triangle forum.

Edwards and Price met with doctors and patients at Rex Hospital in Raleigh. Edwards also visited Women's Hospital in Greensboro and the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.

From staff reports.