Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Out-of-State Students Should Not Bear Unfair Burden

As a student at UNC-Chapel Hill paying out-of-state tuition, I was surprised to read in The Daily Tar Heel about Rep. Cary Allred's, R-Orange, proposal to increase tuition amendment. It would increase my tuition by $2,000, while an in-state student would receive a $50 refund.

Rep. Allred says, "I don't think the taxpayers of North Carolina should subsidize the students from another state." I, as well as many other out-of-state students, am employed in the state of North Carolina and therefore pay taxes in North Carolina. I am also a registered voter in Orange County, the county he represents.

A 9 percent retroactive across-the-board tuition increase is irresponsible, but at least there is a sense of fair play in having all students help the state through its budget crisis.

Exceptional out-of-state students help make UNC the great school that it is, and in turn they pay many times the tuition of an in-state student.

It is neither fair, nor good policy, to expect these out-of-state students to balance North Carolina's budget when they had nothing to do with the reason for the shortfall.

Rep. Allred justifies himself with the $1,200 each year the state subsidizes for an out-of-state student's education. Why then does he raise their tuition by $2,000? If he is truly interested in out-of-state students paying their own way, shouldn't they pay an additional $1,200?

Is the other $800 to subsidize the refunds for 16 in-state students? I do not believe that my in-state friends would like to receive a $50 refund that comes out of my wallet. Rep. Allred and the rest of the N.C. General Assembly must find a solution to this problem that is fair to all their constituents.

Beth Donaldson
Senior, English and Math