Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police Recover 16 Grams of Cocaine From 2 Arrestees

Police found a rock of cocaine weighing 12 grams on Angel Castro, 26, of Durham, who attempted to hide the rock in his mouth.

Police made five arrests early Thursday morning -- two of which involved felony possession of cocaine.

Chapel Hill police were notified at 2:01 a.m. of a disturbance at 150 E. Rosemary St. when an employee at the Alley Oops Treehouse Club, located across the street, alerted police of a fight.

Chapel Hill police arrested and charged Angel Castro, 26, of Durham, with one felony count of cocaine possession and one misdemeanor count of resisting arrest. Reports state that Castro was attempting to start a fight with several unknown individuals in the parking lot at 150 E. Rosemary St.

While police detained Castro, he pulled out a bag from his pocket and attempted to eat it, reports state. Officers pulled the bag out of Castro's mouth and discovered it contained a rock of cocaine weighing 12 grams, reports state.

In connection with Castro's arrest, Chapel Hill police arrested Jaime Gonzalez, 25, of 213 N. Graham St., Hugo Fuentes, 25, of 506 Wellington Dr. and Juan Ramirez, 21, of 1250 Ephesus Church Rd. on one misdemeanor count each of inciting a riot, reports state. All four individuals, who were involved in a fight at the scene, were arrested at the parking lot at 150 E. Rosemary St. at 2:15 a.m.

In Carrboro, 12 minutes later, Carrboro police arrested and charged Carlos Lopez-Rodriguez, 22, of 401 N.C. 54, with one felony count of possession of cocaine and one misdemeanor count of driving with a revoked license. Carrboro police arrested Lopez-Rodriguez on East Main Street at 2:27 a.m. He told police he was coming from the Treehouse when officers stopped him for speeding, reports state. Reports also state that upon further investigation, police discovered four grams of cocaine in the pocket of his pants.

Neither Chapel Hill nor Carrboro police have commented on whether the two early morning incidents are related.

Fuentes and Ramirez were released on a written promise. Gonzalez was transported to Orange County Jail, where he was held under no bond until he was sober. All three Chapel Hill arrestees are scheduled to appear in Orange County Superior Court in Hillsborough on Oct. 1.

Although police have not linked the two incidents, Lopez-Rodriguez and Castro, because they were charged with cocaine possession, both were transported to Orange County Jail. Each was confined under a secured $5,000 bond.

Both Lopez-Rodriguez and Castro were scheduled to appear in Orange County Superior Court in Hillsborough on Thursday.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.