Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police Roundup

University

Monday, Sept. 24

Reports state that a UNC student's backpack was stolen while she slept in Davis Library. The bag and its contents were recovered in the second floor men's restroom. The victim's cell phone, valued at $100, was the only item missing.

A UNC student reported his wallet was stolen from 803 Morrison Residence Hall. Reports state that the student said his wallet was stolen Sept. 19 sometime between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. The black leather wallet, valued at $20, contained a credit card and a check card but no cash, reports state.

Reports state that a UNC employee reported vandalism to a memorial bench in Coker Arboretum. The employee said it looked like someone had written on the bench with a permanent marker sometime within the past week, reports state.

A Chapel Hill resident reported his custom fog lights were stolen from his 1997 Acura after 11 p.m. Sept. 23. Reports state that the lights, valued at $60, were stolen while the car was parked on Stadium Drive.

Reports state that a Motorola radio was stolen from the west end zone area of Kenan Stadium on Sept. 22. The radio was valued at $450, reports state.

The Department of Public Safety was called to 813 Morrison Residence Hall when a futon mattress caught on fire after a lamp fell on it. Reports state that the Chapel Hill Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire. There was no damage to the room, but the futon, valued at $100, and the carpet, valued at $110, were both damaged, reports state.

Reports state that a UNC student cut her finger while cutting an apple in Ehringhaus Residence Hall. She was transported to Student Health Service by the Point-2-Point shuttle.

A UNC employee reported her shoulder bag was stolen from behind her computer's hard drive in her office in the Bolin Creek Center. Reports state that the victim last saw her bag at 10:30 a.m. and noticed it missing at 11:30 a.m. Reports also state that the site of the theft was not secure because it is the main entrance for a work area. The leather bag, valued at $40, contained $5 in cash, three credit cards and an N.C. driver's license.

City

Wednesday, Sept. 26

Chapel Hill police were dispatched to a fight on Short Street after a window was broken at 2:30 a.m.

Two unknown men were seen attacking two other men after several mattresses were placed in the road by an unknown subject, officials said.

Reports state that one of the victims suffered cuts to the face.

The window was valued at $200.

No arrests have been made, and the case is under investigation.

Tuesday, Sept. 25

Chapel Hill police arrested Mary Morgan, 50, of 2919 University Drive in Durham at 10:15 a.m.

Reports state that she was charged with one count of felony possession with intent to sell cocaine and one count of misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

Police stopped Morgan after receiving information from a confidential source who she was in possession of cocaine, reports state.

She admitted to possession of drug paraphernalia and was arrested. Upon search, police found 20 rocks of crack cocaine in her navel, reports state. The case is closed.

Morgan is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Sept. 26.

Chapel Hill police responded to an emergency call about two men shoplifting in Hudson Belk at 201 S. Estes Drive at 10:28 a.m., reports state.

The two unknown suspects shoplifted 12 Nautica jackets and escaped police by running through the parking lot, reports state.

The jackets were recovered and are valued at $1,608. The case is closed because all leads are exhausted.

Carrboro police arrested Evis Duque-Hilerio, 24, of 248 Nature's Trail at 11:46 p.m., reports state.

Duque-Hilerio was charged with one count of misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, one count of consuming while driving and one count of driving without an operator's license, reports state. His blood alcohol content was .18, reports state.

He was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear at Orange County District Court on Nov. 6.