Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Area Anti-war Protesters Meet Verbal Hostility

The demonstrators first gathered for a pre-march rally at McCorkle Place that included five speakers and anti-war music from the 1970s.

Chanting "Justice not war!" and carrying placards that read "Warrants not war" and "Impeach the mad-bomber in chief," about 300 boisterous protesters were then escorted along Franklin Street from McCorkle Place to Roberson Street by a half-dozen police officers.

The event also brought out a small contingent of noisy counter-demonstrators who waved American flags from a red pickup truck that was parked on Franklin Street across from the rally.

Although both demonstrations were peaceful, a shouting match ensued when the two groups crossed paths. Members of the anti-war protest criticized the counter-demonstrators for supporting a campaign they said is killing innocent civilians, while the counter-demonstrators called the activists "un-American."

UNC junior Brian LiVecchi held an American flag and sang the national anthem as the anti-war activists passed on Franklin Street.

"(UNC) was made the laughing stock because of what the outspoken vocal minority has to say," he said. "We believe we are the majority, and you can hear from every car honking as they go by that we truly are," LiVecchi said, referring to a "Honk if you love America" sign the group held.

No physical altercation resulted, and no arrests were made, but police asked the two groups to separate.

Despite the dissenting views expressed by the counter-protesters, Nouman Siddiqui, a member of the Muslim Student Association and one of the speakers at the rally, defended the patriotism of anti-war protests.

"It's not un-American that we have to respond intelligently," he said. "It is actually very American to be doing what they are doing here today."

The demonstration in Chapel Hill was one of three in North Carolina on Saturday. All were part of a larger series of protests throughout the nation, sponsored by International Act Now to Stop War and End Racism.

The local event was organized by the Triangle-based Coalition to End the Cycle of Violence and was part of the Students United for a Responsible Global Environment international conference held at UNC during the weekend.

"We must bring those responsible for the (terrorist) attacks to justice," said Michal Osterweil, a UNC graduate student and organizer of the rally. "But attacking Afghanistan won't bring us any closer to that goal."