Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Field Hockey's Offense Overwhelms Radford

A lineup change designed to increase goal production helped seven Tar Heels score on the Highlanders.

Shelton's moved her freshmen starters all over the field, tinkered with her defensive line and finally changed from three forwards, three midfielders and four backs to four forwards, three middies and three backs.

And thus far, the move's paying off.

Sunday, seven different Tar Heels scored goals to lead the team to a 8-0 defeat of Radford. Saturday, UNC's 4-3-3 helped the Tar Heels top Virginia 4-1.

"It's good balance," Shelton said. "I don't think we have one unbelievable superstar up front, which is a good thing."

Shelton added that the Tar Heels do not want to play a one-on-one style, but instead be more team-oriented.

The Tar Heels (9-3, 2-1 in the ACC) got the scoring started quickly. With 27:55 left in the first half, freshman forward Charlotte Plugge fed midfielder Meredith Keller, who flipped the ball in from 10 yards out.

Keller's goal was just the beginning for the Tar Heels, who drew 11 penalty corners on the afternoon.

UNC so dominated the Highlanders that Radford only pushed the ball into the scoring circle a handful of times and did not even attempt a shot on goal.

It took Radford (4-10) more than 20 minutes to get the ball near UNC starting goalkeeper Amy Tran, and the Highlanders only were able to draw one penalty corner.

With offense the order of the day for the Tar Heels, the team scored in a variety of ways.

Freshman forward Kerry Falgowski was the only Tar Heel to find the back of the net twice.

Falgowski scored on UNC's third penalty corner of the game. North Carolina stick-stopper Keller pushed the ball to freshman Carey Fetting-Smith, who slapped the ball toward the net. Falgowski tapped it in, earning Fetting-Smith the first of two identical assists. Redshirt freshman Amber Chambers knocked in Fetting-Smith's hit in UNC's very next corner.

In addition to the usual suspects of Fetting-Smith and Falgowski, some of reserves found the back of the net.

"We love to be able to get our subs off the bench and be able to score," says sweeper Abby Martin, who tallied two assists. "I mean, Mary Havell scored, so it's great for them to get in and get opportunities -- especially in a game like this when there's a little offense."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.