Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Just Decide: Summer, Fall or Winter

But this past week we had beautiful fall weather. The birds were chirping, the leaves were falling, the Cavs were crying ...

I don't know, but I think Ma Nature just needs to get some action. Good thing Father Christmas is right around the corner ...

I have some serious complaints about our cafeteria. No, not Lenoir. I'm talking about the other cafeteria. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you have never lived on South Campus. Variety is down, quality is down, and service sucks. And don't even let me get started on the ice cream. -- B.G.

As a South Campus resident, I hear your plea and raise my own voice in accordance ... for the most part. Chase isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be, but changes definitely need to be made.

Variety is definitely down. They do have the Pan Geos veggie dinners now, but there is really only so much you can do with noodles and cheese. And while the main entree line is fine, I can only eat so many "random meat wraps." I remember fondly the days of Chef Hank and his famous fajitas. But now, every time I look, it is beef wrap, chicken wrap, tzadziki wrap ... What the hell is tzadziki anyway? Isn't there a tzadziki fly?

As far as quality goes, I am pretty neutral. No, I'm not too fond of micro-shrimp and cold pizza. But, Chase has never served fine cuisine. It's a cafeteria, not a restaurant. If you want beef tenderloin go to Four Eleven West. If you want El Gigante go to Bandido's. If you want grilled cheese and instant potatoes, go to Chase.

Service-wise, I don't know the CDS workers well enough to make any judgements. But I can say that CDS does the best job it can. It's true that no one knows why we have to line up in a diagonal direction away from the counter and why moving the tables around is such a terrible offense. Or why we still can't serve our own pizza and hamburgers. But we can always rely on getting served our inside-out ravioli and triple-cheese quiche with a smile. You know, if you actually eat that stuff. But the biggest tragedy of all is the absence of ice cream. No, not that prepackaged, jaundiced frozen yogurt. I'm talking about the real deal: mint chocolate chip, pralines and cream, cherry vanilla, rocky road, cookies and cream. They had it all last year. We've seriously been cheated.

So stand up my fellow Chase patrons! Fill out that comment card. Write a letter to the chancellor. Bring the ice cream back! I mean come on, why else would you go to Chase?

For the record, Adam Shupe doesn't really believe all Pirates are cheap and easy ... now the Wolfpack, that's another story. Send your own cafeteria horror stories to Adam at shupe@email.unc.edu.