Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Capel's Shooting Frustrations Continue

Well, more like suffering.

Although Capel would finish as UNC's second-highest scorer with 16 points in the Tar Heels' 79-66 loss to Indiana, eight of those points were from the charity stripe.

Capel made just 1 of 5 shots from the floor in the first half and added another point on a free throw. He was

0 of 2 from behind the 3-point arc.

"I didn't shoot the ball well again," said Capel, who scored 17 and nine points in the Tar Heels' first two games. "I didn't help my team win."

Capel's shot got a little better in the second half -- making three more baskets, none of which were 3-pointers -- and he was able to put points on the board because of 7-of-7 free-throw shooting.

And to add insult to injury, Capel had seven turnovers in the first half.

"I don't know," said Capel, a preseason Wooden Award candidate. "I got a charge call. I was trying to make things happen."

But the turnovers aren't really anyone's concerns. It's the shooting. Capel has always been a good shooter, and he averages 82.3 percent from the free-throw line and 45 percent from the floor.

So far this year, Capel has hit just 28.6 percent from the floor.

"I just don't think he has as many open looks as he has in the past," said UNC coach Matt Doherty. "When you have Joe (Forte) and Brendan (Haywood), you're going to get open looks. Wide open looks.

"He's not getting those now because he's the lead story in the scouting report -- he and Kris."

Both Capel's inside and 3-point shots have suffered this season. Doherty said he saw a positive from Capel when the senior kicked the ball out to Will Johnson on the wing instead of trying to muscle his way up in the post.

But with 2:46 left in the game, Capel was able to fight his way inside and score, drawing a foul from Indiana's Jared Jeffries.

Capel drew multiple fouls inside against the Hoosiers, but it's not his number of free-throw attempts that the Tar Heels need to improve.

"I've got to do some things to give him some better looks," Doherty said. "I've got to incorporate some plays where he can come off a screen and have an open shot."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.