Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Duke's Party Monitor System Meant to Keep Students Safe

The Alcohol Policy Review Committee at Duke reviewed and rewrote the school's policy on drinking on campus in the summer of 2001.

The November 1999 death of a student from alcohol consumption related complications prompted the examination, which was conducted by a committee consisting of both faculty and students.

Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president of student affairs at Duke, said the main reason for the program is to promote a safe and responsible party atmosphere on Duke's campus.

Wasiolek said she believes the program is getting off to a good start.

Her main concern with the effectiveness of the program is revolved around how seriously student party monitors will take their role.

Starting this semester, student groups must provide one party monitor for every 25 expected attendees.

This includes fraternities and sororities, whose houses are on university property. Each organization is responsible for providing their own party monitors.

To become a party monitor, students must attend a 1 1/2 hour long party management seminar. There are 358 trained party monitors on Duke's campus.

Party monitors' duties include preventing alcohol policy violations, intervening and caring for the inebriated and at risk individuals and eliminating safety hazards.

Monitors wear bright orange shirts, labeled with "party monitor."

Anthony Geonnotti, a junior engineering student at Duke, has served as a party monitor for his fraternity.

He said he definitely sees the need for party monitors, although he admitted that when he is on duty he cannot enjoy parties as much as usual.

Geonnotti also said that his role as a party monitor is not particularly formal. He said attendance at parties on Duke's campus has not declined because of the presence of party monitors.

"It's not so much an authoritative position," he said. "I'm basically like any other sober kid when I'm a party monitor, but just with more responsibility if a problem arises."

Melissa Exum, dean of students at UNC, said UNC does not need a party monitoring program.

When parties are held on UNC's campus, in places such as the Great Hall of the Student Union, there are existing procedures and enforcement to ensure the safety of its students, Exum said.

"We always ensure the safety of our students on campus," she said.

"But because we are not structured the same way as Duke, we don't really have the need for such a program."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.