Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Football Players Promote Literacy

About 13 team members participated in Literacy Day, the first event of Children's Rights Week, co-sponsored by the Campus Y's youth outreach committee and Project Literacy.

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., several players, including senior linebacker David Thornton, senior defensive tackle Anthony Perkins, sophomore wide receiver Brandon Russell and freshman offensive lineman Jason Brown, took turns reading to elementary school students in the Pit.

Kindergarten through fourth-grade students from Mary Scroggs Elementary School's after-school program were excited to spend the afternoon with some of their favorite players, organizers said.

"The kids were ecstatic because they look up to these guys," said Tricia Thompson, director of the after-school program. "I think the football players had just as much fun as they did."

Russell said he was happy to take part in the event. "You always get a good feeling when you read to kids," he said. "You can tell they look up to you, so any chance we get to work with them is always a good experience."

After the players read some of the kids' favorite books, by authors like Dr. Seuss, students got the chance to get autographs and take pictures with the athletes. "The football players were great," Thompson said. "They let the kids sit on their laps and get their autographs. They were wonderful."

Perkins, who read books such as "Curious George Gets a Medal," said he saw his involvement as beneficial to himself and to the children.

"As a student athlete, it is important to be involved in the community," Perkins said. "The kids really enjoyed it, and I was able to take my mind away from school and sports for a little bit."

Along with reading, the football players also played football and kickball games in Polk Place with the children.

Organizers of the event said they were pleased with the interaction between the students and the athletes and believed their goal of promoting literacy was met.

"I think it went really well," said Chris Lamb, co-chairman of Youth Outreach. "We wanted it to be a chance for (the students) to see guys that they looked up to and to learn, through the football players, that literacy is a lifelong endeavor."

Youth Outreach Co-chairwoman Catie Cunningham said she was convinced that the children were made more aware that reading is important as a result of the event.

Cunningham also was impressed with the team members' dedication. "The football players just warmed up to the kids and got really personal with them," she said. "They were really into it.

"You could do nothing but smile at these big guys reading to little kids."