Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Horowitz Gives Voice to Conservative Views

David Horowitz took issue with the teach-ins, which he called anti-American, held on campus after Sept. 11.

The series of teach-ins earlier this year caused several conservatives, including Horowitz, to blast UNC and other universities for displaying anti-American sentiments.

"At a time like this, to have three teach-ins, or even one, is despicable and disgraceful," Horowitz said. "I was invited to be a one-man teach-in on the other side."

Horowitz's appearance jump started his nationwide Think Twice Tour, in which he is discussing anti-war sentiments at UNC and 14 other universities.

But Horowitz said he understands what the teach-ins were trying to accomplish because he was once an active anti-war protester.

Horowitz began his career as a political activist opposing the Vietnam War and leading left-wing groups. He said that over time he became disillusioned with liberalism and became a conservative.

Based on his own anti-war actions, Horowitz said, he feels the people protesting the war in Afghanistan are expressing hatred for the United States.

Despite being greeted by a lengthy round of applause, Horowitz said he felt there was a war against him at UNC because of his conservative views.

He stressed that all universities, including UNC, should embrace differing opinions and encourage free speech. "It is inappropriate for an academic institution to have a campaign to silence an individual because of their views," he said.

He also criticized Chancellor James Moeser for allowing the teach-ins to take place without presenting the opposing view until now. "I can't find words to express my contempt for the chancellor and this University for supporting these views," he said.

Horowitz added that he does not think UNC's position on the war should be one-sided.

He said the attacks helped unify Americans, adding that UNC administrators and faculty should show support for the U.S. actions. "When the whole country is banding together, you have an administration and faculty that is out of touch with the heart of America," he said.

Horowitz said it is important that people remember the United States is the victim in the war. He said the teach-ins demonstrated sympathy for terrorist causes, cautioning the University community to remember the true victims of the Sept. 11 attacks.

He said terrorist groups such as al-Qaida, the terrorist organization being blamed for the terrorist attacks, have no regard for life, freedom or differing views. "They will kill you because they disagree with you."

In addition to criticizing the UNC teach-ins, Horowitz spoke about an anti-slavery reparations op-ed he composed for The Daily Tar Heel last spring that prompted campus protests.

The DTH invited Horowitz to write the editorial instead of running an anti-reparations ad he sponsored. Other college newspapers, including Duke University's The Chronicle, ran the ad.

Horowitz said he was surprised both the ad and op-ed caused so much controversy. "I wrote the ad because I thought the reparations campaign would hurt the black community," he said. "I never meant for it to be inflammatory."

Almost 10 minutes into Horowitz's speech, a group of students walked out in silence to protest Horowitz's stance on slavery reparations.

Horowitz said he thought the protest represented an inability to listen to opposing viewpoints. "A university is supposed to teach you to have an open mind and to think," he said.

Horowitz concluded his speech expressing his support for the United States and its initiatives. "This is one wonderful country," he said. "It has committed a lot of sins, but it adjusts.

"It has an enormous conscience."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.