Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The Singing in The Pit Needs To Stop, Please

What cards did they play? Sure the SAT card, the GPA card, the number of high school student body presidents card, connections to the CIA card or the ace in the hole -- the sheer number of women card -- I think you can deduce what I ultimately valued.

Aside from those quantitative factors, there was an X-factor that is still a mystery to me -- the voracity with which these universities push the number of a cappella singing groups at each campus.

When I went on my various college visits, it was as if it was a vital asset of each prestigious university.

For example, the tour guide at Princeton boasted, "We have 11 a cappella singing groups on campus." Brown must have spied on Princeton though, because I recall the tour guide retorting, "While some other Ivies only have 11 or 12 singing groups, Brown is home to 952 a cappella groups."

At Carolina I don't know exactly how many groups we have, but I do know that one is spawned out of the other at the pace of maggots forming on day-old Pokey Stix.

Someone probably didn't make the Clef Hangers, and so they started the Tar Heel Voices.

Someone didn't make Tar Heel Voices and will be destined to start Must Sing 4 2 Day --