Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

IFC Shelter Handles Influx After Storm

Shelter officials have asked Chapel Hill police to help transport those in need of shelter from the elements.

While most students and residents relaxed inside their homes during last week's snowstorm, the staff at a local shelter worked diligently to manage the influx of homeless seeking refuge from the storm.

Chris Moran, executive director of the Inter-Faith Council Community Shelter, said that despite an increase in the number of people seeking shelter and food, few additional funds were needed because of careful planning and a responsive staff.

"It went like clockwork because we have a very dedicated staff, and I think that's the key," he said. "Very little extra money was needed because some of the staff worked double shifts to make sure the shelter was taken care of."

Moran said the shelter was able to accommodate all of the housing needs caused by the storm -- which dropped nearly a foot of snow in the area Wednesday and Thursday -- by expanding available sleeping areas and relying on staff and volunteers. "During the snowstorm we had our usual staff and volunteers, and we were able to put up to 40 additional people on extra space on the floor," Moran said.

But the shelter went further than simply helping those who came to get in out of the storm. Moran said the shelter also enlisted the help of the Chapel Hill Police Department in searching for people who were not able to get to the shelter.

"We contacted the police and asked them to bring in anyone they found who might be in need of shelter," he said.

Rosetta Wash, who has been director of the shelter for three years, said the shelter has a typical recall plan that works around staff who are not able to get to the shelter.

"We have a standby plan for staff that can't get here because of the bad weather, which allows us to rearrange shifts and double them up," Wash said.

She said that even though Chapel Hill is populated by the homeless year round, their constant movement makes it difficult to pinpoint the exact number of displaced people.

But Wash said the shelter always provides a certain number of beds and three meals a day for those in need, which gives a rough estimate of the number of homeless in Chapel Hill.

"We have 42 beds for men and 14 beds for women and children that are always at capacity," she said. "During inclement weather, which is anything below 40 degrees, we open up extra floor space."

But Moran said no matter what the weather is like, be it rain, sleet or snow, the shelter is equipped to provide refuge to as many people as need it. "Part of our mission in providing this service is to be on alert for the time to provide accommodations during inclement weather." Moran said. "We're always prepared."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.