Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Injured Foot to Sideline Manuel

UNC guard Jackie Manuel is out indefinitely, and the status of Jason Capel is still unknown for today's game.

Manuel, a freshman swingman, has a stress reaction in the third metatarsal bone in his left foot and is out indefinitely. He is averaging 6.1 points and 3.7 rebounds per game.

Capel, a senior forward who leads the team in scoring and rebounding, suffered a concussion in practice on Jan. 15 and was unable to play in the games at Florida State and Connecticut.

Capel was cleared to shoot and ride an exercise bike in practice Tuesday. His status for the game will not be known until today.

Bolowich Named Coach of the Year

PHILADELPHIA -- Ten national championship soccer coaches, including North Carolina men's coach Elmar Bolowich, were named NSCAA/Adidas National Coach of the Year in their respective divisions at the NSCAA Awards Dinner during the 55th Annual National Soccer Coaches Association of America Convention in Philadelphia. In all, 11 collegiate, six high school and two youth coaches were recognized for their outstanding achievements in 2001.

The North Carolina men's team tied a school record by winning 21 games on the way to capturing the first national championship in the program's history in 2001.

Bolowich guided UNC to the top spot in the NSCAA/Adidas Division I men's poll with a 21-4-0 record. Last month, Bolowich was named the South Region Coach of the Year.

He was the ACC Coach of the Year and the South Region Coach of the Year in 2000 and received the NSCAA National Merit Award in 1999.

High Jumper Snags Weekly Honor

North Carolina's Adam Shunk was named this week's ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week. Shunk, a junior from Muncie, Ind., automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship with a high-jump mark of 7-4 1/2. Shunk's jump was good enough for a first-place finish at last weekend's Tar Heel Elite and is tops in the ACC this season.

Grappler Tabbed As Wrestler of Week

North Carolina's Chris Rodrigues has been named ACC Wrestler of the Week after winning three matches in the 125-pound weight class last week.

Rodrigues, a freshman from Marietta, Ga., pinned Ohio's Mike Caruso in 2 minutes, seven seconds and Cumberland's Wyatt Wilke in 3:05. He also took a 3-0 decision over N.C. State's George Cintron to improve to 17-7, 6-2 in dual meets this season.

Rodrigues' wins helped the Tar Heels go undefeated for the week. They beat State 21-9, Ohio 21-7 and Cumberland 32-18.