Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Israeli Consul Speaks on Diverse Views

Israeli Consul Jacob Rosen emphasized the effects of Sept. 11 on Americans, saying they can now relate more to Israeli realities.

Israeli Consul General Jacob Rosen came from the Consulate General of Israel Office in Atlanta to speak to about 70 students in Professor Norman Hurley's "Political Psychology" class in 306 Saunders Hall on Thursday.

Rosen said he has spoken to the media, Jewish communities and universities and deals with commercial issues for Israeli companies with bases in Atlanta.

There are nine other similar consuls stationed in different regions of the United States, all representing Israel.

But since Sept. 11, Rosen said his job and its problems have changed. "Things that were difficult for us to explain, Americans are beginning to feel on their own flesh," he said. "They understand us now."

He gave the example of how U.S. citizens are just now beginning to grapple with issues such as restrictions on airport security that Israeli people have lived with for years.

He said that because Israel has dealt with terrorism for so many years, the country can offer a light at the end of the tunnel.

"The main message is you can continue life in spite of terrorism," Rosen said.

During his lecture, Rosen encouraged students to challenge raw political science and instead pursue anthropology.

He said he wants students to understand that sometimes political science models are not applicable to all parts of the world. As an example, Rosen explained that according to political science, a war-torn country like Israel would probably not be a democracy today.

"By the model, most countries in that atmosphere would not survive as democracies," he said. "About 80 percent of the population of Israel originate from nondemocratic countries. This country, despite all the problems, is still a democracy."

By using Israel as an example, Rosen said he wants students to realize that diverse viewpoints exist throughout the world. He said people cannot measure everything in the world with American standards.

"Political science is very nice, I also studied it," Rosen said. "But political science is applicable only in certain areas."

Rosen asked if students could recall any American reporter speaking to citizens of Afghanistan in the last four months.

"Most of the reporters do not speak languages in the nations that they cover," he said, adding that while reporters can explain what happened, there are many things they cannot understand due to their limited view.

Rosen said he hopes to see students expand their perspectives and think more critically about diverse cultures.

"If I'll manage to implant in the minds of students to look at things from different angles, I think it will make them better citizens of the world," Rosen said.

"If you realize other values, other priorities, then you'll understand the world."