Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

N.C. Colleges Mull Tuition Increases

UNC-C Chancellor James Woodward said Friday that the university's Board of Trustees will consider a $400 campus-initiated tuition increase at its Feb. 4 meeting.

The announcement comes on the heels of the UNC-Chapel Hill BOT's passage of a $400 campus-initiated tuition increase. The increase, approved Thursday, will fund faculty salary increases and reduce class sizes.

Woodward said UNC-C's tuition increase would be targeted toward programs that improve undergraduate education, such as a learning facility program to ease the difficult transition to college work.

Woodward added that the revenue also would fund the hiring of more full-time faculty to replace some adjunct professors and also decrease the student-faculty ratio.

"Just like the trustees at Chapel Hill, our trustees recognized the problems associated with funding," Woodward said. "We are especially concerned about those departments that are dependent on adjunct faculty -- replacing adjunct faculty with full-time faculty."

N.C. State University trustees also will consider an increase at their February meeting.

More than half the schools in the UNC system either have approved a tuition increase or are in the process of determining if one is necessary for their campus.

Jeff Huskamp, ECU's chief information officer, said administrators are considering a tuition increase but declined to give any additional details.

"I certainly think (a tuition increase) has been a topic of discussion as the state's fiscal position becomes worse," Huskamp said.

He also said an increase in student fees could be necessary because of UNC-system schools' need to remain competitive with universities nationwide, especially with budget projections showing that the state's budget could be as much as $900 million below predictions.

He added that raising tuition is sometimes necessary to attract and keep quality faculty because of other universities offering better pay and benefit packages.

"I think it's a competition among all the universities in this country, not just those in the state," Huskamp said. "The universities in this state are actually kind of collaborative."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.