Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Speaker Selection To Focus on Faculty

Senior class officials said members of the committee are exploring the option of selecting a faculty member in part because no candidate outside the University has been secured as a speaker.

"The chances of getting a big name speaker are rapidly diminishing," said Student Body President Justin Young, who serves on the committee. "Given the time frame, selecting a faculty member is being discussed."

Senior Class President Ben Singer also said faculty members are being considered because they could better reflect on the impact of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the senior class' response.

"A big part of our class has been 9/11," Singer said. "Some people have said that who better to talk about how our campus pulled together than someone within the campus community."

Senior class officials said the list of candidates previously considered for commencement speaker included former president Jimmy Carter, entertainer Bill Cosby, author Nadine Gordimer and actor Sam Shepard. But Singer said the committee's finalists were unavailable because of prior commitments.

Senior class marshal Brittany Whitesell said the marshals spoke with Chancellor James Moeser about the topic at December Commencement.

"(Moeser) said the faculty members on the committee have recommended an internal speaker since the committee has been unable to secure a speaker thus far." Whitesell said. "But the student marshals encouraged him to find someone affiliated with the University but not inside the faculty."

Whitesell said Moeser mentioned journalism Professor Chuck Stone and English Professor Doris Betts as examples of UNC faculty who would make good speaker choices but that he did not specifically recommend any particular candidate.

Singer said he hopes the committee can make a recommendation for a speaker at its Jan. 25 meeting, but he also said Moeser would make the final decision.

Moeser and faculty committee members were unavailable for comment.

Senior class marshal Adina Dubin said many faculty members and marshals have agreed that securing an outside speaker in a few months is not feasible. She said that selecting a speaker within the University might be the best option.

"At this point the marshals are supportive of selecting a faculty member given the current time constraints," she said. "The senior class is behind this decision."