Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Offensive Line Coach Hired by Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt announced Jan. 5 that North Carolina offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell has accepted an offer to become assistant head coach and offensive line coach on the new Commodore staff.

"I think when you're successful, as we were this past season, you're going to lose some coaches depending on the situation," said UNC head coach John Bunting. "In this particular case, Robbie has a long-standing relationship with Bobby Johnson, and I think it's a great opportunity for him. I wish nothing but the best for Robbie, his wife Nora, and their daughter, Emsley."

Caldwell, 48, had been on the Tar Heels' football staff since December 1999 as offensive line coach and last week he was on the sidelines for Carolina's 16-10 victory over Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

A native of Pageland, S.C., he had previously coached the offensive line at North Carolina State since 1986, and from 1997-99 had the added responsibility of assistant head coach.

He graduated from Furman with a bachelor's degree in health and physical education in 1976.

Wrestling Competes in N'Western Tournament

The North Carolina wrestling team finished tied for 31st place with 15.5 points at the Midlands wrestling tournament held at Northwestern on Dec. 29-30.

Brad Byers (141 pounds) and Jimmy O'Connor (157 pounds) went 2-2 for the tournament. Byers defeated Illinois' Eric Novak 3-3 in the first round but lost to No. 3 seed Cedric Haymon of Cal Poly, 12-5, in the second round. Byers rebounded for two wins in the consolation round before falling to Cal State-Bakersfield's Ryan Meloche, 7-3.

O'Connor decisioned Hofstra's Paul Siemon 8-1 but lost a 13-2 decision to No. 5 seed Matt Anderson of Iowa in the second round. In the consolation rounds, O'Connor defeated Chicago's Nate Lukanich 8-2 but fell to Indiana's Rocky Mantella, 6-1.

Going 1-2 for UNC at the tournament were Chris Rodrigues (125 pounds), John Paul Igoe (133 pounds), Mike Booth (149 pounds), Dusty Heist (174 pounds), Nick Richmond (184 pounds) and Matt Kenny (heavyweight).

Iowa won the event with 151 points.

-- From Staff Reports