Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students Spring for European Trip

With Martin Luther King Jr. Day's passage last week, the 10 glorious days of Spring Break are considerably far away.

But now is the time to make plans. Although for some the plan includes drink specials and a tan line, for others it can come with a passport and a ticket across the Atlantic Ocean.

Mark Phillips, an agent at STA Travel, said spending Spring Break in Europe is not as expensive as many students expect.

Though packages to Europe are usually not as popular as those offered for Cancun, they are still an affordable possibility.

"Personally, I think they are probably the best deal for what you get," Phillips said.

Local travel agencies such as STA Travel, at 143 E. Franklin St., and Council Travel, at 308 W. Rosemary St., offer tour packages to Europe that include airfare and accommodations for around $700.

With a little more work on students' parts, they can build their own plans for slightly less money.

If you want to plan your own adventure, discount accommodations and airfares can be found online.

But students must be thorough in their research.

Although planning a custom trip provides more flexibility, the cost of airfare and accommodations can fluctuate daily. As of Monday, average round-trip online airfare to Europe for Spring Break started around $425.

But bear in mind many factors go into airfare price. Your departure date can make a significant difference to the ticket cost. According to the Travelocity.com Web site, flights on weekdays are typically cheaper than those available on weekends. The site recommends searching for flights on different combinations of days, and if feasible, with several different airports.

After the details of departure have been settled, students must make decisions regarding the bottom line -- money.

John Veazey, a junior public relations and history major who traveled to London and Paris during Spring Break last year, said $600 in spending money helped him through the week.

In addition to estimating the amount they can spend, students also should consider their method of payment.

Experienced travelers, such as senior journalism major Jennifer Hedgecock, recommend using a credit card because it eliminates the need to worry about exchange rates and leftover currency.

"I used my credit card the most because it's easier," Hedgecock said. "You get currency back from your traveler's check, but you might be leaving the country that day, and you just have to change it over again."

Examining the hidden costs of travel can help keep credit card debt to a minimum. Locating lodging independently can cut down on costs. For breakers on a budget, hostels are a reliable $20 alternative to hotels.

These inexpensive, dorm-style lodges are located in most large cities, and reservations can be secured online.

Joining Hosteling International provides members with discounts in restaurants, retail stores and on international calls, according to the organization's Web site.

Membership, which is $25 annually, is required by some hostels and earns discounts at most.

Another popular way to save money on lodging is to stay with friends who are studying abroad.

Veazey visited his friend who was studying in Europe and added that having someone show him the ropes and the sights was helpful.

Once accommodations are decided, another important focus is transportation. For those traveling within Europe, Eurail is a dependable and affordable rail service. At $243, the Eurail Selectpass Youth allows a traveler with a limited time to chug to three different countries in five days of travel.

In addition to a camera and sunscreen, there are a few important things that you must pack.

Passports are a necessity for foreign travel. Applications can be found both online and at major post offices, and for a $60 fee will arrive in four to six weeks.

Another form of identification recommended by travel agents is the International Student Identity Card.

For $22, the ISIC is available at most travel agencies or online. The card offers discounts, a 24 hour helpline and medical insurance.

With all the reservations made, the credit card ready and the passport on hand, the only thing left to do is pack light, take pictures and buy something nice for your mother.

Bon voyage.

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.