Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Trail of Tears: Tar Heels Drop 4th Straight

UNC erased an early 18-point deficit against FSU but fell victim to poor shot selection down the stretch Wednesday.

But Morrison's and North Carolina's wounds continued to bleed as Florida State topped the Tar Heels 81-71 at Leon County Civic Center in front of 7,523 on Wednesday night.

Morrison collided with Trevor Harvey with less than a minute left when both dove after a loose ball at halfcourt. Morrison went to the free-throw line and hit both shots to pull UNC within four.

With 46 seconds remaining, Morrison made a layup, scoring UNC's last points of the night. Then the Tar Heels' old enemies, bad shot selection and turnovers, showed up, and North Carolina (5-9, 1-4 in the ACC), playing without Jason Capel, picked up its fourth straight loss.

"We're in a hole," said UNC coach Matt Doherty. "We're in a big hole, no question. But we're not going to quit."

Doherty's decision to employ a zone defense backfired when UNC played without the energy that kept the game close against Virginia on Saturday. With 8:50 left in the first, Florida State (9-6, 2-2) had a 28-10 lead.

"Given our track record, I would have played the zone too," said FSU coach Steve Robinson. "It just so happens that I really felt that we have become a better zone-attack team."

But by the half, UNC had pulled within nine of the Seminoles.

A Jawad Williams jumper tied the game at 45 five minutes into the second half, and Adam Boone gave the Tar Heels their only lead of the night on a 3-pointer with 10:11 left in the game.

Unfortunately for UNC, its lead lasted exactly 15 seconds. Michael Joiner sank two free throws to give the 'Noles a 51-50 lead after being fouled by Will Johnson.

FSU then went on a 10-3 run, but the Tar Heels battled back. UNC focused its effort to retake the lead on its outside game. This limited the touches of Kris Lang, who led all scorers with 23.

Doherty said, "We definitely want to go inside, too, but when you're down six with 1:20 to go and you know you can get a 3 and Brian's a good shooter -- that could really hurt them."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.