Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Assault Suspects Arrested, Charged With Misdemeanors

Police have charged Andrew Douglas Jones, 21, Kyle Patrick Shea, 24, William Wadsworth Palladino, 21, and Daniel Carter, 21, all of 138 Lake Ellen Drive, and Daniel Eliot Jackson, 21, of 406 Westwood Drive.

Police reports state that the suspects entered the victim's home, located on West Franklin Street, at 6:16 a.m. and assaulted him.

The victim, a 20-year-old UNC student, suffered severe lacerations and was taken to UNC Hospitals for care. Officials were unable to comment on the duration of the victim's hospital stay.

Officials said they are not sure why the incident occurred and reports did not indicate if drugs or alcohol had been used.

The five suspects were served warrants at 1:13 p.m. at the Chapel Hill Police Department, which is located at 828 Airport Road.

Each suspect was charged with one misdemeanor count of assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to inflict serious injury and one count of misdemeanor breaking and entering.

Capt. Everette Johnson said the suspects approached the victim's room and an altercation ensued.

The suspects assaulted the victim with their fists, Johnson said.

Reports state that the suspects were armed with personal weapons but did not clarify the type.

But Johnson said weapons were not used in the assault.

Johnson also said Chapel Hill investigators reviewed the tapes from the lobby of the victim's building to pinpoint the suspects.

"Through some investigation, they found out who (the suspects) were," Johnson said.

"They came to his door, started to pound on him and then they left running."

Shea declined to comment on the situation. Shea's lawyer, Barry Winston, did not return phone calls Thursday afternoon.

Jones, Jackson, Palladino and Carter -- all UNC students -- could not be reached for comment Thursday evening.

Reports state that the case has been closed and was cleared by the arrest of the five suspects.

The suspects court date has been tentatively scheduled for March 4 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.