Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Brown Pitches Senate Campaign Ideas to Young Democrats

Brown, a former Durham City Council member, is running against former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles; N.C. Rep. Dan Blue, D-Wake; and N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall to secure the Democratic bid for the Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C.

Brown said her campaign has three prongs: economic security, guaranteed healthcare and environmental justice.

Brown, criticized by some for her lack of political experience, said her electoral strength lays in her local involvement.

"I am a community advocate seeking to run for political office," she said. "I have had extensive experience outside of the political process at the local, state and national levels. Some people suggest I don't have the political experience. I suggest that is quite untrue."

Brown said her platform is based on community need and that her election would ensure an advocate for the people's voice. "I take my platform ideas by listening to the communities," she said. "The outcome of this election would be a real people's candidate. This is more than running for Senate -- this is about building people power."

Brown responded to several questions about one of her campaign goals -- raising the minimum wage from $5.15 to $8.50 an hour during a two-year period.

"For me, it becomes an issue of basic decency," Brown said. "I look at the distribution of wealth, and it becomes unfair."

Another of Brown's main points Monday was excess money spent on the military. She pointed to President Bush's recent decision to significantly increase military spending in his budget proposal.

"That feels off to me," she said. "What are we trying to do with that money? It's about military contractors making multimillion dollar contracts. Our priorities are really out of line."

Brown said she knows her campaign faces a rocky road, but she believes her faith will carry her through.

"I am relying more on the faith of God, than the faith of the voters," she said. "But that's just who I am."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.