Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DiPhi Hosts Traditional Forum for Campus Candidates

The Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies, UNC's oldest student organizations, hosted their annual student body president candidate forum in New West Hall on Monday night among the portraits of those with historical significance to the University in the past.

Although the organization does not endorse a candidate, the forum is respected as a tradition on campus, and it gives candidates the opportunity to address a variety of issues.

Each candidate was given three minutes for an opening speech, then all candidates had one minute each to respond to questions posed by the audience. Following the questions, the candidates had one minute to give a closing.

Candidates Correy Campbell and Charlie Trakas were not present.

Candidate Will McKinney said he feels student input has given him a solid platform that will bring the UNC campus together. "This isn't my project," he said. "These are issues that are important to a lot of people."

McKinney outlined four goals for tuition, and he also said he would work to improve the campus environment for minorities. He said he hopes to create a student director of minority affairs and fight to increase minority enrollment in the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

"I think I can bring positive, constructive leadership to this campus," he said.

Candidate Brad Overcash said his idea for a student summit, which would allow students to speak directly to administrators, would help voice student concerns on a variety of matters. "I think the student summit is a wonderful opportunity for students of all different backgrounds and from all different groups," he said.

Overcash also said he would like to see a student Honor Court defense system. "I'd like to create a chief defense advocate," he said.

Overcash said his platform is more feasible than the other candidates' and that he will be able to accomplish his goals in his one-year term. "Every single idea in (my platform) can get done," he said.

Candidate Nathan Katzin spent most of his time speaking about progressive energy reform, his chief concern. "I guess I'm a little bit unorthodox," he said. "My passions lie in a very different area."

Katzin said, if elected, he would ask the runners-up to handle parking, tuition and other issues that he does not take personal interest in. "I'm here to shake things up a little bit," he said.

Candidate Fred Hashagen said that though people might have varying opinions of him, he has been successful in leading students on campus.

"The point is that I have an ability to make people feel something," he said.

Hashagen listed several specific points he hoped to work on, including working to institute a Korean studies minor and Native American studies major and ensuring housing for students by working to make the Carolina Inn available for student living.

Candidate Jen Daum said she thinks student voices have been marginalized on the issues of tuition, parking and Qatar and said she will work to be an advocate for students. "We will work on campus, we will work off campus, we will work tirelessly," she said.

Daum also highlighted facets of her platform that focus on graduate and disabled students -- two groups given little attention by other candidates. "We need a passionate student body president," Daum said. "I am that candidate."

Candidate Bennett Mason focused his speech on tuition and parking. "These are two issues that I think affect students right now," he said. "I don't think there is a justifiable reason to increase (tuition) by $400," he said.

Concerning parking, Mason said a better alternative to charging for night parking would be a price increase for all daytime permits. "I'm not a poli sci major," Mason said. "I'm a business major. I like to see things get done."