Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Group Prepares Judiciary Counsel

Monday's Student Judicial Review Committee meeting marked the first time that outsiders participated.

Committee Chairwoman Marilyn Yarbrough said that at their most recent meeting Monday, members interviewed officials from the Honor Court and the judicial system.

The meeting marks the first time outside participants have been involved in the committee's proceedings.

Yarbrough said that during the course of the meeting, Judicial Programs Officer David Gilbert and Honor Court Chairwoman Marcela Vasela related their experiences with the judicial system and gave their opinions about its strengths and weaknesses.

The committee also decided to create Web surveys for students, teaching assistants and faculty, Yarbrough said. She said the surveys will contain no more than 15 questions, and there will be a separate survey for each group.

"We want to get a sense of what people know about the judicial system," Yarbrough said.

"We'll ask questions like, 'Are you aware of the Honor Code?' and ' Do you feel there's enough emphasis placed on it?'"

Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber said the committee also decided to create small focus groups that will discuss issues surrounding the judicial system like the fairness of the standards of proof and sanctions used.

Kleysteuber said the focus groups will be composed of five to 20 participants who have directly experienced the judicial system, such as students who have been witnesses or faculty who have filed charges.

Kleysteuber said that although the focus groups will not be open to the public, the committee plans to hold public forums at a later date.

"These discussions will give people an opportunity to express their concerns about the judicial system," he said.

Yarbrough said the focus groups will take place March 5, 6, 19 and 21. She said the March 5 session will involve faculty members, and the March 19 forum, involving students, is scheduled to be held at Lenoir Dining Hall during lunchtime.

She said the committee has not yet decided who will participate in the March 6 and 21 focus groups.

With the January hiring of graduate student Heather Dichter to assist members in research and organization, Yarbrough said she believes the committee is progressing well.

"I think we know a lot more than we did before," she said.

"We've been reading a lot of articles about student judicial systems, and we're getting a sense of the concerns people have."

Yarbrough said the committee will make its recommendation and report to the chancellor by the end of the semester.

"We'll take all day early in May to sit down and formulate recommendations," she said.

Kleysteuber said he is also confident members will have enough time to complete their assessment of the judicial system.

He said, "UNC-Chapel Hill stands alone in its honor system, and our analysis will center on what we think is best for our school."