Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Jordan Wins RHA President Position

Write-in candidates accounted for 8.3 percent of the vote with 248 votes.

"I am really excited and happy," Jordan said in response to her win.

Jordan, a health policy major from Fresno, Calif., became involved with RHA by running for area governor two years ago, and said her involvement motivated her to run for the RHA presidency.

"It's been a great experience," she said.

Jordan said that when she takes office she wants to build a strong organization that follows the traditions of RHA and its mission statement.

"I want to serve as the residents' advocate and voice and provide enhancements and quality programming," she said.

"Basically, improve the residents' living experiences in residence halls."

Jordan said her first task as RHA president will be to secure a top-notch staff to help her achieve her goals. Elections for area governors are coming up in April, and Jordan said she hopes to see strong leaders elected to these positions.

"I want them to be representative of residents on campus, both students currently involved in RHA and those interested in becoming involved," she said.

Jordan also aims to jump-start a large publicity campaign to increase knowledge about the programs and events offered by RHA.

"It's important for students to know that our organization exists, especially for freshman," she said.

Another platform idea she emphasized during the election was increasing RHA's presence on campus by holding an "RHA Awareness Week."

As part of this awareness week, Jordan and her staff will distribute promotional items, such as key chains and stress balls, to inform students that the members of RHA are concerned and open to student input.

Jordan also is a member of a committee to oversee the introduction of four new South Campus residence halls into the campus community when they open this fall.

"I want to see the new residence halls integrated into RHA smoothly and efficiently," Jordan said.

She also hopes the committee can increase membership before the school year ends.

Jordan also stressed the importance of the RHA president's relationship with the staff in the Department of Housing and Residential Education. Last week, Jordan met with Director Chris Payne to discuss recontracting and other issues facing RHA at the end of this semester.

Jordan also has addressed students' concerns regarding construction on campus.

Jordan said she will put together a construction committee to facilitate discussion between RHA, the staff of the housing department and representatives from construction companies.

While some winners went to Franklin Street to celebrate their victories, Jordan planned on going home to finish the registration form for RHA's regional conference.

She said, "I'm excited to have the opportunity to get started."