Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Medical Student Claims That TPAC Chairman Has Violated Honor Code

In the midst of the traffic and parking controversy, Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee Chairman Bob Knight has conducted himself in an unprofessional manner repeatedly, from disrespectful editorial comments during forums to barring students from speaking. These actions were merely poor leadership, but Knight has crossed the line by misrepresenting directives to TPAC as coming from Chancellor James Moeser.

The Honor Code of the University clearly "prohibits lying, cheating, or stealing when these actions involve academic processes or University, student, or academic personnel acting in an official capacity."

Bob Knight has violated this code of honor by lying to a University committee in an effort to sway the TPAC vote towards the proposal which he deemed best.

As the University pushes farther each year to instill in students the ethics and morals contained within the Honor Code, we must look to our administrators and faculty as role models in this pursuit.

Thus, just as any student would be reprimanded for a violation of this Honor Code, I call on the University to hold Bob Knight to that same standard. He must be held accountable for his actions and removed from the chairmanship of the TPAC committee.

Holly L. Humphrey

First-Year Medical Student