Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

OWASA Takes Water Plan To Commissioners

OWASA Chairwoman Bernadette Pelissier said the existing restrictions, enacted during the 1980s, no longer reflect the available water in two area water supplies. The two water sources, Cane Creek Reservoir and University Lake, were hit hard by the recent drought.

"We are not filled," Pelissier said of Cane Creek. "Even with the rain, we're still seven and a half feet below normal.

"The current ordinance needs to change," she added. "It's much outdated."

The proposed restrictions would be enacted in three stages depending on available water levels and demand. The first stage of restrictions would only allow residents to use outdoor irrigation systems every other day. The next stage limits irrigation to one day per week. The third stage, to be used only in emergency situations, bans all outdoor water use except to extinguish fires.

The limits would go into effect from May through September if the reserves can supply only 125 days of water or if the water demand for a three-day period exceeds 90 percent of a previously established three-day target level.

The new limits would coincide with OWASA's recently enacted higher summer water rates. The new rates will raise the cost of water more than 30 percent during the May through September period, from the current $2.90 per 1,000 gallons to $4.08 per 1,000 gallons.

The commissioners reacted favorably to Pelissier's proposal. Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis noted that water shouldn't be considered a mere commodity.

"We need to give it a little more respect," he said.

OWASA Planning Director Ed Holland said because the existing ordinance is outdated, a new one is necessary.

"The old ordinance was written when University Lake was the only water supply and demand was one-third of what it is now," he said. "The restrictions didn't kick in until there was only 70 or 80 days of water left in University Lake."

Pelissier recently presented the proposed restrictions to the Chapel Hill Town Council and the Carrboro Board of Aldermen. Because some OWASA customers live in neither town, the utility must seek the commissioners' approval as well.

"Carrboro asked us a half-dozen questions and Chapel Hill referred the report to their staff," Holland said.

"We think it will go ahead with a couple of minor adjustments."

Pelissier said OWASA wanted the new restrictions in place by April.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.