Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student Wonders How DPS Could Possibly Need More Money

Ban night parking? Let's just scrap the Department of Public Safety. Call me uninformed, or perhaps just bitter and biased, but why does the evil entity known as DPS need more money? I'd say my parking tickets alone could run their office for a solid three months, and I'm one of 20,000 students and who knows how many visitors. Then there are the thousands of day permits they sell for upwards of 300 bucks. My "econ sense" here is telling me that adds up to a lot of money. And what have they done for me, a student, with the money they're making? I think maybe they jumped a friend of a friend of a friend's car or something like that, that's about the best I can do, that and slightly amuse me with thoughts of nudging that silly parking enforcement cart with my car. Also, I can't say that students walking from the library to their now-distant cars late at night conjures up the word "safety" (as in Department of Public Safety) in my mind. As a matter of fact, it does just the opposite. My proposal: can DPS let Nathan Katzin handle parking and put the savings toward heading off a tuition increase (Hmm ... maybe I should have joined the student body president race). Now excuse me while I go hide my car.

Rob Heroy

Senior

Economics