Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Two SBP Campaigns Cited For Election Code Violations

Margolis said candidates Fred Hashagen and Will McKinney sent e-mails to the student body without a "reply-to" line, containing the sender's e-mail address, in either the memo area or first line of the e-mail, which is a direct violation of the code.

Hashagen sent a mass e-mail to the entire student body and was fined $20, and McKinney, who sent an e-mail to half of the student body, was fined $10, Margolis said.

The fines are deducted from the $500 campaign spending limits.

"Really, more than anything, this is a misunderstanding on the behalf of our campaign," Hashagen said. "We are ultimately at fault for living by the spirit of the law, instead of the letter of the law."

McKinney also said his campaign is sorry for the misunderstanding.

"Sometimes these things happen, and we obviously didn't mean to violate the rules," he said.

Margolis said the purpose of the rule, which is stated in section 6 of the election code, is to protect the privacy of students.

"The code tests how the candidates inform all workers about potential violations because candidates are responsible for all their workers -- their actions and words," Margolis said.

Other than the two mass e-mail violations, Margolis said the only other violation that has occurred involved a campaign worker from McKinney's staff.

"We had to remove a campaign worker from Will's staff because he was working on Justin's Cabinet at the same time," Margolis said, referring to current Student Body President Justin Young.

Both Hashagen and McKinney say they have learned from the mistake.

"I would hope that voters would look to the future," McKinney said. "It is a violation, but I am sure voters will understand that people make mistakes."