Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC to Lose Sorority, Gain Fraternity

Like Delta Sigma Phi did successfully, Phi Mu plans to rent out its house for a few years and then regroup.

Delta Sigma Phi, a fraternity that operated at UNC from the mid-1920s until 2001, will be fully operational again in the fall of 2002.

But Phi Mu sorority will close in May -- a victim of the same financial woes that forced Delta Sigma Phi to shut down last year.

Delta Sigma Phi voluntarily closed in May 2001 because the chapter had difficulty recruiting new members.

Jay Anhorn, director of Greek affairs at UNC, said Phi Mu was unable to recruit enough members to pay the rent and upkeep of the group's main house, a smaller house and a house director's cottage.

"Last week, the chapter voted themselves to close down," Anhorn said. He said the decision was made by the chapter alone and not by the national Phi Mu organization or by the University.

"A lot of times organizations feel it's better to close on good terms and try to come back later," he said.

Anhorn said the local Phi Mu chapter plans to rent out its house on Henderson Street for two or three years and then try to regroup -- just as Delta Sigma Phi successfully did this semester.

At the same time, Anhorn said he was excited about Delta Sigma Phi's comeback. "I am really looking forward to their return to Greek campus life," he said.

"The amount of success they achieve will be a true sign as to whether there is still interest in the Greek community at UNC."

Kyle Roslund, a member of Delta Sigma Phi at the national level, emphasized the fraternity's strong values.

"Delta Sigma Phi was founded on the principle of religious equality, and it continues to promote values of leadership, learning, service, friendship, diversity and respect and fun," he said.

Roslund said Delta Sigma Phi advocates the responsible use of alcohol, pointing out that the fraternity's house -- located on Finley Golf Course Road -- is alcohol-free.

The fraternity recently began recruiting new members, and it plans to use several campus organizations to gain visibility and recognition, Roslund said.

Matt O'Brien, president of the Interfraternity Council, said Delta Sigma Phi's case is not unique. "Numerous fraternities around the nation have to fold every year because of membership and recruiting problems," he said.

"Approximately five years ago, (Sigma Alpha Epsilon) faced many of the same problems now confronting Delta Sigma Phi," O'Brien said.

He said one of those problems is the location of the Delta Sigma Phi house.

"They obviously will have a more difficult time recruiting new members since they are not located at the center of campus Greek life," O'Brien said.

Phi Mu also has faced recruitment difficulties, leaving the sorority with about 70 members. Average sorority membership is 118, Anhorn said.

Anhorn said he is working with University officials to try to allow some members of the sorority to live on campus next year because they will no longer have their house.

But the women won't lose their sorority membership, he said. "When they close the chapter, they'll go to alumnae status," he said. "They'll still be Phi Mus."