Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Area Retailers Don't Fear New Mall

Franklin Street managers have said the opening of the Streets at Southpoint, a new mall in Durham, will not affect business.

The Streets at Southpoint, a new mall in Durham with more than 150 stores, opened March 8.

But Aaron Nelson, president of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said the area's economic future is anything but dim and cited the opening of new businesses at University Mall.

Nelson said the town's hope is that the new mall will be a regional destination and that visitors will stop and shop in Chapel Hill, which is just a few miles away.

"We will continue to try to convince people who travel from long distances to stop by Chapel Hill on the way to the mall," Nelson said.

"It is important for the citizens to realize sales in Chapel Hill bring tax dollars back to the town," he added. "For every one dollar you spend here, one penny comes back."

Christy Lehmann, manager of Johnny T-Shirt at 128 E. Franklin St., said she thinks customers will continue coming to Chapel Hill to shop at the specialty stores.

"People will still come to Franklin Street for all their Carolina gear," Lehmann said.

Michael Baleno, manager of Top of the Hill at 100 E. Franklin St., said the restaurant's business has not been affected since the mall's opening.

"The only problem is with people being late to work because of traffic," he said. "I think (the mall) draws people to the area."

Bruce Stone, owner of the Varsity Theatre at 123 E. Franklin St., echoed Baleno's sentiment, even though the new mall hosts a 16-screen megaplex.

"We were doing fine last week," he said. "I don't think it's really going to affect us."

Nelson said Chapel Hill's University Mall has not experienced an immediate loss of revenue, although University Mall did face a setback prior to Southpoint's opening. At University Mall and Durham's South Square Mall, Hudson Belk recently closed its department stores to relocate and consolidate at its Southpoint location.

But Nelson added that several new stores either are slated to open or already have opened at University Mall, including Bear Rock Cafe.

Nelson said it is too early to tell how the Streets at Southpoint will affect Chapel Hill businesses.

He said the Chapel Hill economy was slow during the last week but that this was expected because so many students were out of town on Spring Break.

Lehmann said different groups, like students, keep local businesses strong.

"Customers at the new mall are mostly area residents while we mainly serve students, alumni and visitors at UNC," she said.

Nelson said the town is taking certain steps to draw in this crowd, including running an advertising campaign that promotes downtown Chapel Hill.

Nelson also said he wants to improve signs on Interstate 40 aimed at drawing people to Chapel Hill.

"We are an attractive enough place," Nelson said. "We just need to do a better job of advertising. We have a bright future."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition