Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Helms, Frist Ask for More AIDS Aid

Sens. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., and Bill Frist, R-Tenn., are proposing an amendment that would allocate an additional $500 million to fight AIDS in Africa.

The legislation is an amendment to the Bush administration's emergency supplemental spending request to help fund the war against terrorism and to boost homeland security.

The current form of the bill already gives $1 billion to help fight AIDS in Africa.

Helms, noted for opposing foreign funding for AIDS in the past, wrote an op-ed piece for Sunday's Washington Post, stating: "There is no reason why we cannot eliminate, or nearly eliminate, mother-to-child transmission of HIV/AIDS -- just as polio was virtually eliminated 40 years ago. Drugs and therapies are already provided to many in Africa and other afflicted areas."

According to a press release issued by Frist's office, the legislation will put a priority on decreasing mother-to-child transmission rates.

The senators plan to present the amendment in April.

Frist's press secretary, Margaret Camp, said the legislation has a good chance of passing Congress.

"I think Senator Helms' position that we need to do something about AIDS is an excellent example of leadership," she said. "U.S. aid will allow the administration some flexibility in directing the funding."

Paul Davis, a spokesman for the Health GAP Coalition, said Helms' ideological reversal and the amendment as a whole are both steps forward in the fight against AIDS.

"We certainly appreciate this shot on the ballot to increase the meager U.S. contribution to the global AIDS crisis," Davis said. "I think it's a pretty big deal that Senator Helms is taking these steps at this point in his career. Better late than never."

Davis said that if the amendment passes, the best option for the U.S. government will be to put the money into the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The fund was originally founded by United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan to garner and organize international support to curb certain communicable diseases.

Davis said every U.S. dollar put into the fund equals $2.30 because of currency rates.

Organizers are trying to raise $7 billion to $10 billion for the fund.

Davis said the main focus of funding is to prevent mother-to-child transmission of the virus during childbirth or breast feeding.

But he said money must be invested in treatment as well as prevention in many African nations. He said most preventative actions taken will be futile if treatment programs are not implemented.

"The only result of taking an HIV test was a death sentence," he said. "There was no alternative. You have to put money into treatment in order for any form of prevention to be successful."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.