Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Investigation Continues in Double Robbery

Durham County police officials arrested three suspects on foot at 12:30 a.m. around the 1800 block of Fayetteville Street on Thursday. Each suspect is being held on a $150,000 bond, and a probable cause trial date is set for March 26, Durham County Detention Officer Spence said Thursday.

Durham residents Clovis Parrish, 17, of 201 North Guthrie Ave.; Antoine Parker, 17, of 670 Troy St.; and Diaz Cuthrell, 18, of 5107 Shadybluff St. were arrested, Spence said.

Durham County police arrested the three suspects for a separate incident but then notified Chapel Hill police that they had in custody the suspects, who could also have been involved in the Chapel Hill armed robberies. Specific information related to the Durham charges was unknown at press time.

"We were made aware of it," said Maj. Tony Oakley of Chapel Hill police. "We did some investigating, and we linked them to the incidents."

Durham County police charged the suspects with one felony count of assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to kill and inflict serious injury and one felony count of robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Chapel Hill police have charged each suspect with one misdemeanor count of aiding and abetting assault by pointing a gun, one misdemeanor count of simple assault and one felony count of robbery with a dangerous weapon, Spence said.

Parrish and Cuthrell were charged with one felony count of common law robbery each, Spence said. Spence also said Parker was charged with one felony count of assault inflicting serious injury and three felony counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Chapel Hill police responded to the first armed robbery at 9:58 p.m. Wednesday on Vance Street. Oakley said the victim was walking down Vance Street when a four-door car pulled up and a suspect exited the vehicle.

Reports state that the suspect pulled a handgun on the victim and struck him in the face as he attempted to rob the victim. "(The victim) had a small cut on the inside of his lip where he was struck in the face," Oakley said. "He did not seek medical treatment."

Chapel Hill police later responded to the second armed robbery, which took place at 10:22 p.m. Wednesday on Drew Hill Lane, reports state. A 28-year-old man was assaulted and robbed of his wallet, reports state. The total value of stolen goods was $106.

Oakley said the incident was similar to the first because the man was struck in the face with a gun.

"Apparently (the victim) was doing some laundry and came out of the laundry area," Oakley said. He said the victim was then approached and punched in the face by a man. Oakley said the victim suffered minor injury including loss of teeth and was taken to UNC Hospitals to be examined.

Oakley said he doubts the suspects were involved in the assault that happened on campus Wednesday night.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.