Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Downs Navy in 6-OT Thriller

In the longest lacrosse game in school history, UNC downed Navy on a goal by Pat Jackson in overtime No. 6.

And when the smoke cleared, the 13th-ranked Tar Heels had defeated No. 14 Navy by a score of 11-10.

"It was a big win for our team against a quality opponent," said UNC coach John Haus. "Anytime we can get a win of this nature, especially outside the conference, I think it does a lot for our team."

Dave Pittard put Navy (2-1) ahead with a goal seven minutes into the game. The teams then traded goals to end the first quarter at 2-1.

The contest moved into high gear in the second when Tar Heel Pat Jackson spun and fired a bounce shot into the net. Seven goals followed in the period, and the score was tied 6-6 at halftime.

The second half began with UNC's Bryant Will slicing through the Midshipmen defense and raising the back of the net for UNC's seventh goal.

The Tar Heels (3-0) led 10-7 after the third quarter.

Two Navy goals set the stage for Midshipman Eddie McKinnon to tie the game by batting in a ground-ball rebound with five seconds left.

Throughout regulation and into overtime, both teams dealt with inclement weather all day, especially after regulation.

"It's hard getting shots off and getting your footing in the mud, but we just stuck with it the whole time and that paid off in the end." said UNC goalie Paul Spellman. "We never quit."

With 21 seconds left in the sixth overtime, Navy goalkeeper Jon Higdon attempted a clear pass from outside the crease and sent the ball soaring.

Almost no sooner than the ball entered the air, Jackson reached up, pulled it down, and whipped it into the empty net from 40 yards out.

"It was a big win for our program." said UNC attackman Jed Prossner. "It really helped us out and gave us a lot of confidence in ourselves. I think it's a good start for the year for us."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.