Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

ASG Candidate Says Record Is Not an Issue

James Haltom was charged with felony inciting to riot last year and misdemeanor larceny three years ago.

Daum said she has questions about whether the delegation should back the UNC-CH junior because of his criminal record. "If you have a felony or larceny on your record, then you need to think about your actions," she said. "And (the UNC-CH delegation) needs to think about what kind of representation we want in ASG next year."

In February 2001, Haltom was charged with felony inciting to riot for participation in an incident involving the flipping of a car on Franklin Street after the North Carolina-Duke basketball game. Haltom, who turned himself in to police, was fined $3,000 and instructed to perform 125 hours of community service to have the felony charge dropped.

Haltom also was charged with misdemeanor larceny in 1999 as the result of an incident he termed a high school prank. The charge later was dropped.

Fellow ASG president nominee Greg Drumwright has nine minor traffic violations, while nominee Jonathan Ducote has no offenses on his record.

Haltom said charges brought against him in the past will not affect his ability to serve as ASG president or to negotiate with state leaders.

"I don't think this should be an issue because all people make mistakes," he said. "I worked hard for the last year in ASG, and I have a good working relationship with several legislators and board members."

Haltom added that he did not participate in flipping the car but merely climbed atop it once it had been tipped. But he said he regrets his actions.

"I made a mistake. My parents taught me to take responsibility for my actions, and I was more than willing to do so," he said. "But I feel that I've worked hard before (the incident) and after that."

ASG President Andrew Payne said any association member has the right to run for the office of president despite past transgressions. But he said the association's reputation should be considered when choosing leadership because the ASG's name has been tarnished in the past as a result of presidents' actions.

"I would never tell a candidate not to run," Payne said. "However, in the light of the ASG's past and some of the perceptions that it brought about, I think all candidates should be scrutinized."

In 1999, Nick Mirisis resigned from the ASG president position after he admitted to plagiarizing a paper. In 2000, Cliff Webster resigned from the position because of larceny charges.

Payne said the ASG is pushing legislation that would give the association president a vote on the UNC-system Board of Governors. The ASG president is a nonvoting member of the BOG.

He said the legislature's perception of the presidency will play a role in whether students gain a vote. "I don't want to give anybody in the N.C. Senate a reason not to pass that legislation," Payne said.

BOG Chairman Ben Ruffin said the election of ASG president is not an issue for state leaders but a student concern. He added that he is certain association delegates will choose a capable leader.

"Since I've been on the board, we've had good student representation," he said. "I trust the students to choose somebody. I've always been impressed with the leadership they've chosen."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.